Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fierce!

Smitten is a troublesome cat. A few years ago she was diagnosed with asthma and had to receive injections of steroids to calm it down. As she got older, the vet got more nervous using the steroid injections and wanted us to try using an inhaler. I'm not joking. She has an inhaler just like people would use with a spacer and an infant mask. She gets albuterol and a steroid that we order from Canada. Again, I'm not joking.

Last February she was diagnosed with thyroid disease. She needed a pill two times daily and was suppose to get canned cat food. She started to hide from us for the morning pill and waiting us out until we had to leave for work. Then it just got crazy around here and we forgot all together to give her the pill. She's been a real grouch lately attacking Anubis at any opportunity and just being a brat in general. She recently snuck into my lap and while I was petting her I realized that she had lost a ton of weight that all her fluffy hair had nicely hidden.

So, I take the needy one back to the vet who now tells me that she has not one but two tumors on her thyroid so the medicine wouldn't have worked anyway. Draws blood and does some tests and now the cat has kidney failure along with crazy high levels of thyroid. We have to feed her a special kidney diet and now instead of pills we are getting a special compound made at a special compounding pharmacy that we will rub onto her ears. I can't make this stuff up. If I was one of the animals around here I would start to get real worried about how things have been going lately.

Today I am at home "working" in between all the kid issues, which I will post about next. While I was on the phone with someone from work, Smitten just kept meowing at me in a very annoying manner. I finally look down at her and see a mouse hanging out of her mouth. I'm guessing she is worried about how this might all work out for her and is trying to prove her worth!



0 Comments: