Max had his kindergarten screening today. He got to have his picture taken for his student ID. I'm amazed that a kindergartner needs a student ID but apparently it is used for everything including lunch. He got to go with the kindergarten teachers while us parent types sat around listening to the principle tell us about the school.
The Hilliard school district only offers half day (really 2.5 hours) of kindergarten in all the elementary schools but one. The one school is near us and is multi-age so the kindergartner are in with first graders. To transfer to that school is based on a lottery and there isn't much hope of actually getting in. I really hate the idea of half day kindergarten. The principle even mentioned how kindergarten today is what my first grade was. How are they suppose to learn all that in 2.5 hours? I read a study that showed kids who go to all day kindergarten are ahead of half day kids even in the third grade, some education union in Ohio states that Ohio teachers want full day kindergarten, so why don't we have it? The answer, the state of Ohio only considers kindergartners half a student for state funding, no matter how long they are in school. Stupid state. But, considering how much taxes I pay for this stupid school district, you'd think they might be able to spring for the other half. I feel that this is taking a step back from what he has now. They won't have time in the 2.5 hours to have music, art, gym or language lessons which he would get if we kept him at St. Joes. Sigh.
So, we get a letter sometime in the next couple of weeks that will tell us how he did. Sometime before the end of the school year, we get another letter informing us of our morning or afternoon assignment. I don't have a clue what we will do if we don't get the morning shift. The daycare will only transport to and from the am and we don't have a plan B.
Max is fairly excited about all of this. He was upset when I told him we had to leave and go to his school. He announced that he "wants to be 5 RIGHT NOW!" I've realized, that I don't want him to be 5 or go to kindergarten. I'm perfectly happy with him being 4 the rest of his life.
Tumblr
15 years ago
4 Comments:
I know what you mean, my kids grew up too fast too. :)
If the daycare is in the same district as the school, the school bus should pickup and drop off at the day care. They do in Beavercreek.
the daycare will pick him up and drop him off but only for the morning. They do not transport for the afternoon. I think it conflicts with the times that they need to pick up the other grades or something. We've told the school this and now we just have to wait and hope.
But the Hilliard School system will not pickup/dropoff at day care centers?
no. Hilliard will not transport him anywhere, not even from home to school.
Post a Comment