Saturday, October 11, 2008

Schwinn!


So, Beth's parents are in town all weekend. They came down yesterday to enjoy the Grandparents' Day festivities at Max's school and have an OSU game today. Since they are staying here in Columbus, they very kindly volunteered to watch the kids while we went to a movie. We chose to see Burn After Reading, a film brought to us by the Coen brothers.

I haven't laughed at a movie that hard in a very long time. It's described as a dark spy comedy, and dark it is. I would laugh and then think, "I shouldn't be laughing at that." But darn it's funny.
John Malkovich started off not really acting very well, but got into stride pretty quickly and gave an enjoyable performance as a CIA analyst turned aspiring writer. Brad Pitt, while starting to look kinda old, and who wouldn't with that many young kids at home, gave a fabulously campy performance as a gym personal trainer. I've been quoting bits from his role all last night and today! George Clooney, a sex craved federal employee, is a hoot in a strange, perverted sort of way. His role reminded me of the part he played in O Brother, Where Art Thou. That goofy, "My hair!" thing he had going shows through here, although like I said with a perverted twist. Tilda Swinton is a perfectly bitchy pediatrician who threatens to take out one of her young patients. Frances McDormand, who works in the gym with Brad, is just cooky and obsessed with re-inventing herself by plastic surgery. One of my favorite characters was just a bit character played by J.K. Simmons as the bumbling CIA superior just trying to make sense of all the craziness.


If you're into dark, high level, comedies and not easily offended by sex stuff, go see this movie!

0 Comments: