Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Should I go there?

Well, I'll try and be brief compared to the last post talking politics. I did watch a bunch of the vice presidential debates and was disappointed that it wasn't more entertaining. I was glad to see that Palin was able to hold her own when speaking. Before a bunch of you jump on me, understand I was not commenting on or supporting her views, just how she handled herself. I disagree with her on many things, but as a woman I do want to see her do well. I'm tired of all women at this level being torn apart for stupid things like what clothes they are wearing and how emotional they are, which is why I'm glad that Hillary is refusing to attack Palin. I do think that the dems could learn a thing or two from how Palin talks, plainly and like everyone else. There might not be much substance to what she's saying, but people I've talked to really like her and I'm guessing it has to do with the "Joe Smoe" thing she has going. It's okay to talk like a highly educated person, but when you're trying to get a country full of not highly educated people to like you, maybe you shouldn't talk like a lawyer all the time.

Overall, I didn't learn much from or even have a reaction to just about anything either of them said. I will say that I got pretty teed off when Biden announced that there should be a plan for restructuring the interest rates and even the principle owed on mortgages for folks going bankrupt. Interest rates make sense even if I don't necessarily like it. Nobody is going to benefit if we have more houses going into foreclosure. But negotiating the principle just doesn't seem right. Beth and I work hard and can't do everything that we want to do because we have an obligation to pay for our mortgage, utilities, food, etc. and nobody is going to reduce the amount we owe on our house because we've done the responsible thing. Angry making.

I have sucsessfully avoided all of the presidential debates. I almost saw the one last night, but Beth saw what was coming on and yelled, "Oh, Crap" and changed the station lightening fast. It amused me to no end.

One more interesting tid bit. At work we have an internal website that has a poll question every week for us to vote on. Here's this week's question: Given that the vice president is a heartbeat away from becoming president, which presidential running mate do you prefer. And the results: Sarah Palin 54.89%, Joe Biden 28.34%, No Preference 2.80% and Neither 13.98%

Keep in mind that the results aren't statistically valid, anybody can vote although we are restricted to only one vote by our log in ID, and what type of folks are voting isn't necessarily representative. My first reaction was, well it's that whole not highly educated workforce thing showing through. But that doesn't really work out. Our linemen, meter readers, technicians all the folks who mostly have a high school education do not have their own computer assigned to them or have really easy access to one. I would imagine that it is mostly our engineers and folks like me, the ones with a computer and at least a college education, that are voting in these things. I wonder how much higher the Palin numbers would be if all our grunt folks could vote. Something to think about.

In case you're wondering, I voted neither......

2 Comments:

Chris said...

My guess is that poll reflects the excitement gap between the two VP candidates. I don't know anyone who's THAT excited about Biden, even among those that are going to be voting for Obama (myself included).

But among those voting for McCain, there's a much bigger percentage of people who are excited about Palin. And are therefore more likely to participate in the poll.

I hope so anyways. Otherwise I'd have to find it extremely depressing that half of the population thinks that someone who can't answer basic policy questions (or even what newspapers she reads) and isn't planning on even holding a press conference before the election should be running the entire country.

Lori said...

That could certainly be it. All of the McCain supporters I know are really excited about her and her "Down to earthness" or some such.

But sadly, I do believe that a good deal of the general public doesn't really care about her inability to answer questions or do any of the other things one would really want a president to do. If they do they just chalk it up to her being a washington outsider, and call it refreshing. I can't tell you how many people have used those phrases with me.