Monday, June 29, 2009

What's in a name

For many years I've been planning on changing my name to Hollenbaugh. Lately, Max has been asking about my name and why it's different than everyone else's. He has been annoyed that I'm not Momma Hollenbaugh. This morning I decided to do something about it. I filed all the paperwork and published the notice to have my name changed. The court hearing will be on August 20th.

No, I will not miss the name Richmond. Originally, I thought the name just didn't mean anything special to me. But in reality, the name has bad memories attached to it and I'm looking forward very much to it going away.

On my walk to and from the court house I had some adventures. I ran into a pack of aggressive hippies lobbying for the libraries. They practically came to blows with folks who politly declined their handouts. While trying to escape that craziness I almost tripped over a casket that was on the sidewalk. It had signs on it, and the same ones on a couple of guys wandering around, stating that the funeral board had buried a felony. Ok. Lesson for the day, do not walk on the statehouse side of High Street.

4 Comments:

Sara said...

Hmm...I am however heartened to see there is some political activism! Did you ask the library folks if they voted for tax increases to help support their libraries? that is my one beef with the whole library thing. If folks didn't vote to put there money there then they need to shut up.

Re: name change--cool. Do you think you'll have a vow renewal? How is your mom taking it? Ryan asked me why I didn't keep my maiden name and I feel kinda bad that I didn't--my little feminism side bristles that I didn't. You have a deeper spiritual reason for changing your name--I just caved because it was easier than walking around as a Witt-Repasy. I was happy to be a Witt. Repasy sounds cooler and they are so good to me:)

Has Max asked questions yet about 2 moms? Ryan expresses curiosity from time to time.

Sara said...

P.S. How do yo like my blog profile picture?

Lori said...

I love the blog pic. Where's the rest of the clown outfit? Max talks about having 2 moms fairly frequently. I just explained that there are all kinds of families and this is how ours is. There was a kid at his old school that picked on him about it. One day she started in teasing him in front of another kid who was a couple of years older and who also had 2 moms. He took care of the situation for Max and he never had a problem again. I anticipate that it will be harder in the new school. Ryan also asked us some questions at the circus about max's "real mom" and why she gave him up. They were very innocent questions. That stuck in Max's head for awhile and seemed to bother him. I think that will be harder for him than having 2 moms.

Lori said...

We've never talked about a vow renewal, I don't know. I haven't had a chance to tell my mom but I think she will be ok. She kept her married name so we would have the same last names. She also knows about the extra special hell my father has been putting me through lately and I'm guessing she'll appreciate me wanting to be rid of his last name.